Monday, January 16, 2012

2012 Ski Trip...

So, Thursday afternoon we set out on our big adventure to Sugar Mountain. We loaded up, filled the bus with chick-fil-a, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, and prayed that we could make it up the mountain with a forecast calling for rain mixed with snow. Thankfully we made it. When we were about fifteen minutes away the fog rolled in, then the snow. Thank the Lord that there was a car in front of us so that we could follow the tail lights around those crazy curves. When we got out of the bus it hit us. That twenty degree weather was more than most of us could handle at the time. However, the snow was gorgeous, and we noticed how much of it had actually come down. I think Benji said we got three inches the first night and one inch the second night...

Our first night there... laying down the law.

 Some of the middle school girls enjoying the snow on our first morning there.
 Crossing our fingers that the bus could make it up to the slopes.
 One of the girls confessed to have never built a snowman the night before during a friendly game of "Never Have I Ever", so the next morning we built one. They wanted to name him Honey Boo Boo after the infamous video of the girl from Toddlers & Tiaras. 
 Snowball fight!
 Then we left for our big adventure. By the way, it was fourteen degrees but felt like negative three. The wind was blowing 30-40 mph. Yeah, it was cold.
 The icy walk up to the lodge.
 Lunch break... well, it was a lunch break for some. For others it was the "I'm done. Can't do no more. Skiing is not for me." sitting area.

 Benji convinced me to get back out there and try it again. Even though I fell down twenty times on the first run, took my skis off, and walked down the side of the mountain. I was glad I went back out there, though. I still fell, but I did get a little bit better.

 This is our youth pastor, Steven, and the Lodge Bear on our way to eat after a long day of skiing. I think the bear was the only one well-adjusted to the cold.
 Here's some of the crazy chaperones. I was rooming with the one on the far left, Mary Beth. I think this picture deserves an explanation. So, we had one major injury on the slopes. A boy broke his shin bone, but left his ice pack in the freezer before going home. Darlynn (center) is always "burning up", so she decided to cool off with this boy's ice pack. As you can see, the men usually just look on with a mixture of disguist and confusion. Fun stuff.
 Youth pastor, Steven, and his wife, Morgan.
 Me and Benji before we left to head home.
On our way home, we stopped by Frankie's Fun Park, spent an arm and a leg at Johnny Rocket's, and left with only one injury of a chipped tooth due to a seat belt in a go-cart.

I had a great time. I was so glad that Benji and I got asked to chapperone. I can't wait to do it again. We had a great group that really inspired me. I hope I can do the same for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment